Written by Chipo Mapungwana
Brands like all things eventually age and succumb to the ravages of customer inertia, disinterest, new products and more innovative competitors and neglect. But your brand does not have to remain this way. It can be rejuvenated.
Brands may therefore require rejuvenation:
To communicate category leadership as well as develop energized new visual identity systems.
To increase market share as the brand image maybe less relevant to new customers.
If the brand has lost its unique point of differentiation and wanting to revitalise the product with a new image.
The target market of your brand has aged and the brand has not renewed its image in the eyes of a new generation. The brand no longer meets the needs and desires of the consumers.
How to rejuvenate your brand.
- Look at your internal strategies , systems , operating procedures and policies as well as operations. Rejuvenation and change starts from within.
- Examine and benchmark your brand against your competitors and especially against the image that you envision your new brand image to be.
- Change your corporate culture and your corporate habits. Tired and unmotivated staff will continue to produce mediocre results, therefore leaderships should change internal messages in order to get the best out of people.
- Enlist the help of your most loyal customers who will be your brand ambassadors and speak out for you even in hard times. Involve them in the rejuvenation process and carry them along through the process.
- Create more innovative and aggressive adverts and promotions. This also means producing more creative packaging and change your logo etc. While your core values may still resonate with your older customers, your brand may have lost touch with the younger generation.
- Become more focused in the way that you engage your customers. Fragmentation of the media means that you can now target specific customer segments and communicate specific messages to these segments.
- Reposition the brand by changing either the target market or value proposition. Launch new product lines that are relevant to your new consumers. You may also change the technology that underlines the products or the brand’s reputation for quality.
- Change how your customers perceive your products and services by changing the image of the products, aligning the new product to their self concept.You can also change the reputation of your product by associating the brand with issues that your customers value.